Being A Thinking Mover!
DOM and body awareness
The student with Vision Impairment needs to have awareness of their own body. This will enable them to move to where they want to be with:
- Precision – being sure of how to move myself,
- Fluidity – being able to move in a coordinated and planned manner,
- Ease – not requiring too much energy,
- Confidence – motivation and mastery,
- Purpose – knowledge of where and how,
- Creativity – for negotiating different situations,
- Lateral thinking – being able to problem solve.
DOM is about
Encouraging the student with a vision impairment to:
- Want to move,
- Want to engage,
- Want to master their own body and world,
- Want to do it independently!
Successful programmes are ones that encourage the student to want to engage in whatever way possible!