Regional Visual Resource Centres (VRC)
BLENNZ regional teaching and support services are provided through Resource Teachers Vision (RTVs) and Developmental Orientation and Mobility Specialists (DOMs) based in 15 Visual Resource Centres (VRCs) throughout the country.
Resource Teachers Vision and DOMs work in partnership with parents and whānau to provide local specialist education services to over 1400 children and young people who are blind, deafblind and low vision. This specialist support may take place in homes, early childhood centres and schools.
What can the VRC provide for learners?
For learners to be enrolled and receive specialist teaching services from a VRC, they will have had a functional vision assessment undertaken by a Resource Teacher Vision (RTV) or the National Assessment Service, with additional information gathered from medical and educational professionals. This information will have established that the child has a significant vision loss and requires ongoing support from BLENNZ. It will then be provided to the National Admissions and Withdrawals Committee to complete the enrolment process.
Services RTVs provide may include:
- Referral for DOM Specialist Services and working in partnership with the DOM and team
- Facilitation to and support of other Specialist Services the learner may benefit from
- Functional vision assessments
- Early intervention services
- Assessment and teaching programmes in the Expanded Core Curriculum, e.g. Braille, social skills
- Facilitation and consultation with families and schools
- Professional development for teachers and support staff
- Support and advocacy for parents and whānau
- Support with assistive technology and the production and provision of resources
The support and frequency of the RTV visits are based on the child’s:
- Age, educational needs and functional vision
- Learning media e.g. print or braille
- Need for the provision of specialised, including DOM, programmes and resources
- Need for provision of specialised equipment
BLENNZ will liaise with the family and the educational placement to offer support and guidance for the learner.
You can find links to our individual centres by visiting our Locations Page.